Cycling is something we all love but many a time prefer to avoid due to time and place constrain. It is a great way to stay fit while enjoying a bit of the scenery around.
However busy lifestyle, erratic weather, pollution, overcrowding, uneven and rough terrain becomes the accumulated reasons that make us hesitant to go out for cycling.
Recumbent bikes or stationary bikes are a great way to resolve the issue. They are perfect for any home and are a great way to exercise without worrying about world problems outside your doors. Recumbent bikes not only promotes lower body exercise but also can be used for upper body exercise.
Why choose a recumbent bike?
Recumbent Bikes are currently one of the most sort after exercise gear for many reasons. This reason includes –
- Ease of exercise at any time of the day.
- Allows one to track calorie loss and also control the speed of action.
- Reduced pressure on the lower back region.
- Decreased strain on the lower body joints especially the knees and ankles.
- Comfortable mounting and dismounting without the worry of falling off.
- Comfortable ergonomic design.
- Smoother movement due to the absence of irregular terrain movement.
- Decreased chances of injuries and bruises or chances of accidents.
- Reduced strain on the cardiac system.
- Muscular soreness aches and injuries are almost absent.
Choosing a recumbent bike instead of the regular bike is a great way to motivate yourself to workout every day without unnecessary excuses like weather, time, etc.
The exercise that can be done while using a Recumbent Bike
The best fact about recumbent bikes is that one can club numerous different kinds of training while working out on it with ease. This promotes better whole body workout and an evenly toned upper as well as lower body musculature.
Some of the most effective workout routines that can be done while using a recumbent bike include –
Resistance Band workout
Resistance bands are perfect for those individuals who love to multi-task. These bands are readily available in the market and can be combined with recumbent bike exercise for whole-body workouts. Resistant groups are a great way to improve the muscular as well as bone strength and also gain movement stability.
The resistant band works by increasing the pressure on the specific areas of the body musculature. These pressure points are crucial in improving the strength of the muscles of the forearms, pectorals, shoulders, and biceps
Medicine ball workout
Medicine balls are available in any retail store and are great exercise tools for sure. They promote even toning of the upper body while used in combination with the recumbent bike workout regime.
The best way to work with a medicine ball is to hold it overhead steadily for 30 seconds and then bring it down. Continuing this as you work on the bike will promote toning of the lower abdomen region alongside reducing the belly fat in and around the zone most prone to fat deposition.
There is no other better method to promote a great upper body workout other than using dumbbells. Multiple variations of dumbbell related workout routines can be done while cycling. Some of the common dumbbell exercises are Shoulder press, dumbbell curls, skull crusher, and shoulder raise.
Each of these dumbbell exercises has exclusive benefits that can overall promote the great tonality of the upper body.
● The Skull crusher promotes even toning of the entire upper body and helps in bulking up the musculature.
● Shoulder raise improves stability and tones the shoulder region.
● Dumbbell curl helps in building the biceps and triceps while accelerating lower body toning
● Shoulder press improves the tonality and strength of the shoulder and the pecks as well.
Apart from these three effective and simple workout routines, one can also choose to do a few freehand equipment-free exercises too. They are comfortable and extremely useful for overall body workout. These routines include –
● Abdominal Squeezing – promotes lower abdominal workout and improves the abs.
● Arm circling improves Upper limb strength and promotes a steady posture.
● Shoulder rise supports shoulder training.
The overall conclusion is straightforward. It is essential to develop the entire body tone and musculature instead of just the lower body. Combining all these exercises with a recumbent bike workout will help in improving the condition of the whole body instead of only one section.
Advantage and Disadvantage of working out on a recumbent bike
Recumbent bikes have their pros and cons that also should be considered.
- Even weight distribution without excess stress on the lower body.
- Promotes lower impact workout.
- Less strain on the Spinal region and the backbone without the need to bend over.
- Supports the strengthening of the pelvic bone region due to the reduced weight on the lower body joints.
- Option to increase or decrease the resistance level as per requirement.
- Improved lower body toning without weakening the knee and ankle joints.
- Is not very practical for upper body workout.
Choosing the right recumbent bike
Selecting the right stationary bike for indoor cycling is essential. The recumbent bike is one of the most opted stationary bikes used. However, choosing the best recumbent bike is slightly confusing as the options are many.
Below are the lists of 9 best recumbent bikes available in the market –
1. Stamina Elite Total Body Recumbent Bike
- Angled backrest for additional comfort.
- Multifunctional monitor that tracks the heart rate, calories, distance, speed, and workout time.
- Built-in wheels for easy transportation.
- Eight levels of Adjustable magnetic resistance.
- Heavy on the pocket.
2. Velocity Dual Motion Recumbent Bike With Moving Handles
- A flat base prevents wobbling.
- Affordably priced.
- Fully adjustable seat with back support.
- Compact design suits smaller spaces
- The electronic monitor does not track hand pedal movement.
3. Tge Marcy NS-716R Magnetic Resistance Recumbent Bike
- Ease of transport.
- Soft handlebar.
- Increased calorie burn due to the magnetic resistance.
4. Avari Conversion II Rower Recumbent Bike
- The dual functionality of rowing and cycling workout.
- Foam padded seat for extra comfort
5. The PROGEAR 555LXT Magnetic Tension Recumbent Bike
- 4 level smooth resistance level.
- Has a broader range of height and the weight capacity.
- Bigger LCD screen.
- 14 levels of adjustments to a fitness goal
- Space consuming.
- Slightly expensive.
6. Shuriken Recumbent Ninja Style bike
- Performance Monitor with Tablet Cradle.
- Comfortable Seat with ‘Air Flow’ Backrest.
- Motorized Silent Magnetic Resistance.
- 3 Piece Crank and Self Leveling, Ventilated Pedals.
- Large Transport Wheels
7. Sunny Health & Fitness SF-B0418 Magnetic Mini Exercise Bike
- Promotes even lower and upper body workout.
- Larger screen display.
- Ergonomic design and space-saving.
8. Fitness Reality R4000 Magnetic Tension Recumbent Bike
- Step-through design for ease of mounting and dismounting.
- 14 levels of magnetic resistance.
- Larger LCD with a broader range of options.
- Sturdy design to prevent uneven movements
9. Diamondback 910SR Fitness Recumbent Bike
- Extremely robust.
- 32 levels of Eddy Current resistance.
- 35 workout programs that are pre-installed.
- Ergonomic and stylish design
- No sufficient foot pedal space.
Recumbent Bikes are not just fashion accessories, but they provide a great workout routine to improve the overall health condition of any individual. The best aspect of these bikes is that any individual can use them without worrying about any health condition or age.