Uttarakhand, a state in Northern India, is a land of all beautiful things. It has snow-capped mountain peaks like Kedarnath Nanda Devi, it has colourful valleys , it has sacred rivers of India like Ganga and Yamuna, it has a lot of glaciers, has some famous confluences like Devprayag and many other special things.
It is rich in natural beauty and is a Paradise for those who are seeking some adventurous treks and camping in the Himalayas. Uttarakhand is also called as the land of God . There are lots of temples including Kedar Nath, Badrinath, and Tungnath. The world’s longest pilgrimage Nanda Devi Raj jat yatra is conducted here.
Uttarakhand has lots of trekking routes. Some of which are easy, some are challenging ones but all of them offer you snow-capped charming panoramic Himalayan views and can rejuvenate your mind. Chopta chandrashila Trek is one of the most popular treks in Uttarakhand, which can be enjoyed all throughout the year. This moderate-level track claims 5 to 6 days of an adventurous journey in the Garhwal Himalaya region. This trek offers majestic views of chaukhamba massif, snow capped peaks like Mount Nanda Devi, Mount Trishul, Himalayan valleys, the sights of rare Himalayan birds , the rich culture of locals, and a serene environment.
Mythological significance:- Literally chandrashila means moon rock. It is said that moon-shaped deity ”Chandra” spent time here in penance. From that, the name of the place has come. In “Ramayana” , it is also said that after defeating Ravana , lord Rama meditated in that place.
- The Trek basically starts from Haridwar. From where you can take a Holy bath in ice cold river water of Ganga two rinse all the tiredness before starting the journey. From Haridwar, you have to take a 6 to 7 hour drive towards sari village. On the way you can stop near Devprayag where you can see the Sangam ( or confluence) of greenish river Alaknanda and dull coloured river Bhagirathi, which forms the holy river Ganga. You can take a tea break there also.
- On the very next day, the actual trekking starts from the sari village. It is about 3km long, gradually ascending trail, passing through the forest of oak and rhododendron. After about 1 to 1.5 hours of a laborious climb you will reach Deoria Tal,a gorgeous lake, situated at an elevation of 7800 feet. The reflection of the great Chaukhamba massif under Pristine water of Deoria tal will let you forget all the stress and labor off the trek. The night camp around the lake, amidst The oak and Rhododendron forest and mountains, will be a lifelong experience for you .
- The next morning after seeing the sunrise you should go for baniya kund trek through Rohini bugyal. On the third day you will pass mostly oak pine and rhododendrons forest. You can see a lot of wild flowers and red – yellow flags tied on the trees on the trail , which is basically in Kedarnath sanctuary. This Jungle offers awesome scenic beauty and the chirping of Himalayan birds entertain you all the way After some time on the ascending trail amidst jungle, you will reach a junction point of 3trek routes , bhagtdwall temple, one way will lead you to sari village another two word kimat and the main one ,descending to the meadows of Rohini Bhagwal. A mesmerizing first look of chandrashila will be seen from here. This will lead you to the village Chopta, the base for trekking to Tungnath and chandrashila. On the way you will also find bisuri tal , Nandi kund , and a little waterfall.
- Start early in the morning for the Chandrashila trek on the 4th day. Today’s trail is basically based on concrete bound steps from Chopta to Tungnath temple, World’s highest Shiva temple.The entire region comes under Kedarnath musk deer sanctuary so if you’re lucky enough you might spot Himalayan Monal,musk deer and wild goats.
After some steps you can see a clear view of chandrashila up , which will make you more enthusiastic to reach there. If you come here, on winter days you can find a thick snow bed from here. You will be surprised by seeing the Tungnath temple,one of the 5 kedars , Magnificent in architecture which is considered more than 1000years old .
The route of the chandrashila peak behind the temple.About 1.5 km steep hike from Somnath temple will lead you to Chandrashila summit.
Through the narrow & narrower trails, After reaching The Chandra Shila summit, feast your eyes on the spectacular view of mount Nanda Devi , mountain trishul ,Kedarnath . Bandar pooch, Gangotri ranges, and obviously Chaukhamba massif. This 360-degree view of snow-capped mountains peaks will just refresh your mind immediately.
You should remember that you have to come back to the Chopta valley on the same day, and it will take hardly four hours to climb down.
- On this day you will have to return to Haridwar on a seven-hour road journey, on private cars. And here the tour ends with memories of majestic trekking experiences and a glimpse of the mountain peaks, forest trails, Himalayan creatures, snow beds, and waterfalls.
Best time:- Although it is a high-altitude Trek this can be done for almost 6 months. The best time is from March to May. After it the trek opens in autumn and goes till the month of December. The best time also can be September to December, because in this time the skies are basically clear and snowfall also starts. If you want to go there in the month of December, you should check with local authorities and guides about the snow, because if the snow gets thicker then you will not be able to complete the whole trek.
Weather and temperature:- Actually the weather in mountains cannot be predicted. The temperature on spring days can be between 0-5 degrees at night & 15-20 degrees on pleasant days.
The temperature on spring days can be between -8 to -4 degrees at night & 7-13 degrees on a clear day.