The Discord app is growing in popularity among gamers and music lovers all around the globe. It is a VoIP communications app that allows its users to voice call, video call, text & voice chat, share screen, communicate via voice channels while playing multiplayer video games.
As the app has seen a huge upswing in the number of daily users, the number of issues has also increased with it. A very common issue that users face is Discord screen share audio not working or Discord screen share audio stutters.
If you are facing the same issue then by the end of this article you will get your solution.
What causes the Discord Screen Share Audio Not Working problem?
The Discord screen share audio not working issue is very common but the reason of it happening can be different for specific users. I looked at a lot of cases and compiled the data to find out that there are 4 major issues causing the Discord screen share audio not working.
The causes are:
- Faulty audio drivers: In order for you to get proper audio input and output you have to have a functional audio driver for your audio hardware. If you have a corrupt audio driver then you might be facing audio issues in Discord due to that.
- Administrative access not given: Since Discord shares your entire screen with another PC it need some administrative access to do so. If it doesn’t have the permissions then this will cause this issue.
- Conflicting Apps: There are some apps that don’t work well with discord. These apps conflict with Discord and cause problems in its running.
- Bugs in the App: There were sound bugs in the application from the very start. But discord rolls out frequent bug fix updates to fix those.
Now that you know the causes let’s look at what we can do to overcome the problem. But before that you must restart your computer once and check if still Discord screen share audio is not working.
How to fix Screen Share Audio Not Working?
Solution 1: Update the Discord Application
Should there be any bugs in the application itself, updating the Discord application to the latest version should fix that bug as Discord constantly pushes bug fix updates as soon as it detects one.
To Update Discord:
- Press Win key+ R to open the Run dialog box.
- Input %localappdata% in the Run dialogue box and press on OK.
- Now Open the Discord folder.
- Then click on the exe file to automatically search for updates and also to install them.
On completion of the updating process restart the app and check I the screen share audio problem is fixed.
Solution 2: Reset the Discord Voice Settings
If your problem started after making some changes to the voice settings on the Discord application then the first thing you should do is reset the settings to its original form.
To perform a Discord voice setting reset follow the simple steps:
- In the application go to the settings section.
- Go to the voice & video settings.
- Click on reset voice settings.
- Now click on the OK
Restart the application and check if the Discord screen share audio problem was resolved.
Solution 3: Update your Audio Drivers
A functional audio driver is a must in order to pass input to your PC or get audio output out of it. An outdated audio driver can be the reason you are unable to get audio in discord. If you don’t have any audio diver installed in your system at all then install them the first thing.
To update your existing audio driver follow the steps:
- Press Win+ R simultaneously to open run dialogue box.
- Input ‘devmgmt.msc’ in the Run dialogue box and press ENTER.
- Click on the Audio inputs and outputs in the Device Manager window.
- Right click on the audio device and click on the update driver software option.
- Click on the Search automatically for updated driver software.
On completion of the process restart your PC and check if the problem still persists.
Solution 4: Run Discord as Administrator
Since your problem of audio occurs in the screen share mode this could be the solution for your problem. If your audio works fine in Discord other than when you are in screen share mode then the audio is most likely being blocked by Windows.
In the screen share mode your entire screen is visible to some other PC and this is viewed by your Windows as a threat to your privacy. In order to fix this issue you must give Discord administrative permissions.
Follow these simple steps to do so:
- Press Win+ E key simultaneously to open the File Explorer.
- Now go to the directory where Discord is installed.
- Right click on Discord’s.exe file and go to properties.
- Click on the Compatibility tab and check the option ‘Run as administrator.’
- Now press Apply.
Re-launch the Discord application now and check if the Discord screen share audio not working problem was resolved.
Many users also confirmed that the Discord lagging problem in this case you can follow the fixes given in the guide – Top 8 Solutions To Fix Discord Lagging Issues On Windows 10
The audio error in screen share mode of Discord is very common due to some issues with your computer settings. Making the above mentioned alterations in the settings of your PC and Discord can easily solve the problem.
Hopefully you are able to hear audio when sharing screen now. Share this article with others facing the same issue.
Thank you for reading!